Thursday, August 13, 2020

Winged Eel Fingerling's guitar solo from Captain Beefheart's "Alice in Blunderland"

This is probably my favorite guitar solo of all ti-i-ime. More so even than "Kid Charlemagne," "Maggot Brain," "Marquee Moon," or "Machine Gun." I've been trying to learn it since 1975 (salute, Bruce Wade) and it came to me while I was running the other day after I realized that it's constructed in four-bar sections (17 of 'em!), so I sat down and "charted" it (difficult as I'm a musical illiterate who's too lazy to use tab). It's not exact, but it has the shape and chaos of Winged Eel Fingerling's original, and while there are a couple of things I still need to work on (Ken Duvall pointed out that there's a Bb that should be a B; see if you can spot it!), it made me happy being able to play it. So there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home