Saturday, April 29, 2017

Things we like: Records that stay near my turntable (in no particular order)

Annette Peacock - I'm the One. If you want your daughter to become a jazz composer, have her marry Paul Bley. And she covers Elvis.

Husker Du - Warehouse: Songs and Stories. First place I heard Bob Mould (thanks to John Bargas). Aggression and melody are not mutually exclusive.

The Clash - Sandinista! Joe said it was supposed to take a whole year to get through. It's taken me over 35 so far. Gateway to dub.

Neil Young - Decade. You can probably buy a better record, but why on Earth would you want one? The career foundation of a guy who was a curmudgeon at 30.

Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns. Not the first of hers that I heard (thanks to my big sis), but the first I appreciated.

Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man. Not all the roots I'll ever need, but flawless.

Fairport Convention - Fairport Chronicles. There are individual albums that are worthy, but this comp also includes crucial post-Fairport stuff from Richard and Sandy.

Family - Fearless. I totally overlooked this when it was new, but just as well; it would have been over my head. Great writing, great vocal blend.

Larry Coryell - The Restful Mind. I liked him better when he was younger and noisier, but the tunes from this acoustic-with-most-of-Oregon outing are indelible.

Bola Sete - Ocean. Solo acoustic Brazilian jazz guitar. Some of the most spiritually complete music of which I am personally aware.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home