Friday, June 20, 2014

Things we like

1) Listening to jam tapes from almost 40 years ago, sent to me by the guy that originally inspahrd me to want to play music, back when I was 12 and he was 14. After that we were in bands together; he moved to Florida the same year I moved to Texas, and he never played again. Hearing this stuff provides me with tangible proof of a time in my life that I otherwise might have imagined. It makes me remember what it felt like to be young, timid, diffident, and unsure of myself. And it makes me want to jam with these guys again, although some of them are no longer living. In some ways, the best part is hearing their voices in the intervals between the jams.

2) Sub Oslo and Pinkish Black at Lola's, 6.14.2014. Two of the best bands ever to call Fort Worth home, playing on their home turf, surrounded by their friends. Since then, I've been listening to Sub Oslo's The Rites of Dub (a better way of experiencing them at home -- because it has more BASS -- than their otherwise excellent DVD) and Pinkish Black's Razed to the Ground (which came out after I "did like a mole and went underground" a couple of years ago, but sounds like a watershed to these feedback-scorched ears, with Daron Beck's voice sounding better than ever) to try and keep the buzz going. And looking forward to hearing Sub Oslo's Frank Cervantez and John Nuckels (whom Frank calls "the Axis of dub," to which I meant to reply, "Just axe the excess") in their current project Wire Nest at the Wherehouse on Friday, 6.27.2014, the night before I turn forty-seventeen.

3) A Who binge, including Shakin' All Over, the better (more songs) CD-R version of my favorite vinyl bootleg, recorded at the Fillmore East on 4.6.1968, when they were still wearing spangled suits and ruffled shirts, and slouching towards Leeds with shuddering jams on "Relax," the title song, and the inevitable "My Generation;" Join Together, an Antipodean oddity also released in the UK as Rarities 1969-1972, which compiles all the great Lifehouse-leftover singles and B-sides I collected while waiting for Quadrophenia; The Kids Are Alright, still the definitive documentary even though it's bookended by songs that Classic Rock radio has rendered me unable to enjoy (the DVD that includes "A Quick One" from The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, which was absent from early issues); 30 Years of Maximum R&B, the DVD that appeared simultaneously with their mid-'90s box set (the version that includes the 1970 Tanglewood material that was deleted from later issues); and Music From Lifehouse, a DVD of the stage production Townshend mounted in Y2K which is my favorite way to hear that material.

4) All we ever need is something to look forward to. In this case, we have Ian McLagan at the Kessler in Oak Cliff on 8.8.2014, and the following evening, when the li'l Stoogeband briefly returns from the dustbin of history (sobering Lola's moment: realizing that the bumper stickers for the bands I used to play in have been torn off the wall; it's almost as if we never existed) at the Sunshine Bar in Arlington.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home