Monday, September 20, 2010

9.20.2010, FTW

1) Terry uploaded the Skil Dragon Remixes to HIO's last.fm page. These consist of the live recording of our last 1919 Hemphill stand with some added snippets of bar chatter (we giggle more than any experimental musos ever should) and beats (inspahrd by Tony Sims, methinks). Sean Kirkpatrick's contributions are less audible here than on the raw track. Other noises you can hear better include me applying rosin to a violin bow which has a contact mic attached, rolling screwdrivers across a contact-mic'ed cymbal, and using the Ebow on my Telecaster (which I brought along because I thought I was going to play guitar with Violent Squid, who showed up but wound up not playing because their drummer didn't feel like driving down from Denton). Also included in the remix are the actual sounds of the instruments "playing themselves" in Terry's car on the way to the Bull and Bush after the gig.

2) Finally got around to playing guitar with Frank Cervantez yesterday. We've been talking about it for months. He brought over his Jazzmaster and a li'l Vox amp. I played the Tele through the Hughes & Kettner. I showed him how to play the intro to "Hey Baby," and we fooled around with "Drifting" and a half dozen other Hendrix toons. He noticed how you could make a song out of one little section of "Castles Made of Sand." We played for a couple of hours, then watched the version of "Machine Gun" from the Isle of Wight DVD a few times. (My disc was skipping, but I managed to fix it by wiping it off. Hooray!) He brought me a CD-R of stuff by Aussie psych band Tame Impala and funky soul man Lee Fields. I hit him back with the new Record Collector mag with Kris Needs' Hendrix piece, a John Lee Hooker CD, and the Blues Project's Projections LP (because he'd just read Al Kooper's autobiography Backstage Passes and Backstabbing Bastards). We're gonna work on "Angel" and "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" for next time. (The only time I ever practice is when I'm learning material; I'm too dull and unimaginative to write anything.) Nice to have another playing outlet besides the Stoogeband and HIO. Might have to get me an acoustic guitar one of these days so we can play some Neil Young.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grubbermeister said...

You're more than welcome to borrow my acoustic (classical) if the need is still there the next time you guys get together. Just gathering dust and playing the spectre in the corner of the bedroom at this time.

10:34 PM  
Blogger stashdauber said...

Thanks, Matt!

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home