Friday, April 23, 2010

joni mitchell

i'm not a fan, but my big sis liked her a lot in high school, and certain of her songs stick in my head (like thisun, which was there all day today). interestingly (to me, at least), two members of stoogeaphilia were born in morgantown, west virginia. and i still hear the chorus as "...all your teeth are colored brown," which amuses me no end.



and who could forget thisun? i like the way she frets her guitar backwards for a moment there in the vid.



an admission: i used to sing this song to my kids when they were small. i actually remembered all the words from having to listen to my sister's record of this a thousand times, 20 years earlier.

4 Comments:

Blogger Breaking Light said...

Love JM. An American treasure. BS Now was the first song I learned, played as an instrumental because I could never sing it like her.

4:44 AM  
Blogger stashdauber said...

Well, a Canadian treasure. Maybe North American.

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No kidding, rare to find people leave WV. I was born in Charleston, WV myself and I believe Rat's family lived there for a short time when they came over. Jm, oh yes innovative to some extent with all her tunings. Sugary precurser to SY

John

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Early Cuyler said...

shes always been one of my favorite composers & performers...not to mention her alternate tunings.
esp love her string of albums from blue in 71 to mingus in 79

..but what do i know...im just a squid with a love for joni.

cheers to you good sir,
early

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home