Sunday, October 04, 2009

mcgregor


even more than the japanese rock 'n' roll records my sister couldn't find the last time i was up in jersey, i wish i still had some of the crappy mechanical toys our grandfather used to send us. my favorite was mcgregor, a mechanical scotsman in a tam o'shanter. press the button, and he'd very laboriously stand up -- making a noise like "G-R-R-R-R-Z-Z-Z-Z-N-N-N" -- and take a puff on his cigar (the ember of which, i seem to remember, would light up) before blowing a greasy smoke ring that smelled like electric trains. awesome.

3 Comments:

Blogger andrew m. said...

i wish i could type the equivalent of how happy reading the description of this made me. what an odd toy.

and shouldn't it be MACgregor? he is a scotsman after all.

8:10 AM  
Blogger stashdauber said...

yeah, i'd also forgotten that he was wearing pants, not a kilt. bummer.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Ray and I went to Canada last time he was here I found that same guy but he is a bartender and he shakes a martini glass and smoke comes out of his ears. I call him Grady (after the bartender on The Shining).

John

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home