Tuesday, February 17, 2009

ben franklin was right...

...when he said "neither a borrower or a lender be."

i mean, i love my son-in-law -- really! i think that he's an outstanding young man -- but i wish the fuck i hadn't let him borrow my charlie parker dials and savoys, which i found for cheap at hpb and which subsequently disappeared into the bowels of his parents' house. feh.

just like i wish i hadn't lent some dude who shall remain nameless the peter laughner cd on tim kerr that i later found out is worth big bucks on ebay, besides being worthwhile for the toonage. the first stooges alb that i let him borrow at the same time showed up in my mailbox a coupla days later, but not the laughner. bahstid.

the me-thinks cats have been generous to a fault in letting the cats in stoogeaphilia use their gear, but when it comes to actually giving up custody of said gear, i've had bad experiences. like the time i went to korea and left my beautiful tweed deluxe (no 'verb; best tone i ever had with an sg) in the hands of my late ex-brother-in-law (r.i.p.), who was going to electronics school at the time. when i came "back to the world," i discovered that he'd stripped it down to the chassis and had no earthly idea how to get it back together.

or the bassman 50 head and ridiculous cabinet with two 15s, built by some insane greek in my town, that i had right before i left long island. i let the bassplayer from the last band i was in there use it while i used the other gtr player's brother's super reverb (with a tele, just like scott morgan!). when he (bassplayer) got word i was skipping town, he conveniently became incommunicado for a coupla months before i left.

and there was a guy i usedta work with in austin who managed to forget to return my first edition of david henderson's jimi hendrix bio when i was leaving to go to colorado. it was a pretty shitty book, actually, but it's the _principle_ of the thing.

then again, i'm not without fault in this area my damn self. right before i moved to austin, i visited my buddy jay in dallas and borrowed his then-girlfriend's copy of burroughs' cities of the red night, which i carried with me to austin, aspen, and back to fort worth, where i wound up selling it to hpb. i suck.

1 Comments:

Blogger Grubbermeister said...

That's why I install LoJack onto everything now. Even socks.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home