Friday, September 26, 2008

maggot brain and other p-funk junk

just copped a 180-gram vinyl reish of funkadelic's maggot brain on the italian 4 men with beards label. it's my fave album by the p-funk mob and one i wanted on vinyl even tho a lot of the songs appear on the motor city madness comp. was dragged to hear popping noises during the quiet intro part of the title track (which don't appear anywhere else on the rec), but that's just part of the fun of listening to vinyl (like my otherwise-pristine copy of double nickels on the dime that has surface noise during "history lesson - part II" only). i find playing or listening to any versh of the song (including the later p-funk ones where mike hampton and blackbyrd mcknight disrespect eddie hazel by cutting him on his own feature -- not cool) to be the best tonic for sadness 'n' sorrow there is. these days, george carries violinist lily haydn with him to do the duty.



was also happy to find eddie's 1977 solo alb game, dames and guitar thangs (one of the rarest p-funk artifacts before its reissue by rhino handmade a coupla yrs back) for less than an arm 'n' a leg. now if i could just lay my hands on george's you shouldn't nuf bit fish, which i've owned on both vinyl and cd but appears to have become rarer than hen's teeth since the time i sold my last copy. luckily for me, now my sweetie won't let me sell anything. hold onto those old recs, kids! it's not safe to assume that they'll always be around!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay. E. Arekayoh said...

The power of ebay:

you shouldn't nuf bit fish

Thanks for the Sunward blurb. Maybe I'll see ya soon. Oh, and me and the fam are moving back to Panther City come March.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home