Saturday, December 30, 2006

overheard at the wreck room ADDENDUM

so after we left the wreck last night, apparently some other scrotal sack who was getting impatient waiting for his drinkie-poo made a crack about how service was slow because "that cripple [meaning carl, who can move faster on one leg with or without crutches than lotsa ppl can on two] can't get his shit together." carl reached across the bar and smacked him -- not hard, but enough to get his attention. lucky kid; there was a time (before he became a daddy again and stopped drankin' so much) when carl woulda come across the bar over something like that. when confronted with assholism, maturity wears the white stetson.

i always know i'm in the wrong room when ppl start complimenting me on my "look." on my way back from the wreck west growler last night, i had a guy tell me how my glasses (which were issued to me in basic training, 1982, and which i wear now because they allow me to drive without getting headaches, read most printed matter at arm's length, and didn't cost me anything when my last pair disintegrated on my head in the bar a coupla yrs ago) make me look real cool, "along with you being asian and stuff."

it reminded me of the time i was sitting in the old south with the italian kid that usedta be my editor and a black dude he usedta work with at the local alternaweekly in houston. this kid came walking up to our table and i was about to duck when i saw his hand going in his pocket, anticipating a gun, when his hand came out filled with change. "i just wanted to compliment you," he said, "on having the most ethnically diverse table in the old south." without missing a beat, the black dude said, "gimme a quarter." the kid did. i need to get better at capitalizing on those opportunities in the moment when they arise.

the night before, at the stoogeshow, there was a girl who asked if my hair was my natural color. i told her that my granddtr had asked me once why my hair was "old," to which i replied, "because i am old," adding, "and if you stick around long enough, it will come to you as well."

i don't understand ppl who invest money and effort in their "look." then again, i also play a squier through a peavey, and only change strings when they break.

FURTHER ADDENDAGE: silly me. jesse sierra hernandez. lee allen. robin syler. may the good lord shut my mouth and open up my mind.

1 Comments:

Blogger andrew m. said...

not sure i understand the "look" thing all that much myself, but wearing more or less the same thing everyday (levis, old sneakers, button up shirt and/or flannel, black zipper-up hoodie, 1983-ish beat up philles hat my gramps gave me back when i was 3 or 4) means there's a look happening through trying or not.

12 years o' catholic school makes me prefer to call it my uniform.

least now i don't have to shave and can wear my hat indoors...

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home