Tuesday, October 17, 2006

uh-oh, nels cline's got an andrew hill tribute rekkid

i loved nels cline's gtr skronkage on mike watt's '90s albs, in banyan, and on things like cline and drummer greg bendian's electrified reimagining of coltrane's interstellar space, but i kinda lost the thread when i heard he'd joined wilco (tweedy's master class with richard lloyd notwithstanding). howevah, nels' recently-released new monastery: a view into the music of andrew hill on cryptogramophone might just be enough to make me pick it up again. back in the '60s, hill was blue note's house avant-gardist (must hear: 1964's point of departure, which unites the pianist with both joe henderson and most of the musos who played on dolphy's out to lunch to predictably stunning effect), and his spiky, thought-provoking toons haven't lost a step since then. whatthehell, if nels could make hill believers out of even a small handful of wilco fans, wouldn't _that_ be something? methinks it would.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nels is the shit!

I have yet to see him with banyan. Seen 'em 3 times, no Cline, but great nonetheless. I too am dumbfounded as to why he bothers with Wilco. I think they have like, 2 songs I can dig and the rest is just boring to me. I dig the Nels Cline Singers though.

Just droppin' in. -Mikey (formerly known as 'dirtsmoke.')

Apologies for the b-log bailout I did. I had a kind of technical trip-out and had to drop the blog thang. I don't have a b-log currently, maybe gettin' back to it. Don't know. I'm just starting to get back with some cats to jam on the bass. Got a proj. in the larva stage. definite not for mass consumption stuff. Call it art/free assoc./improv whatever. Just got to find a place in commersh o.c. to set up and throw down. maybe a college campus or something where peeps got open minds. 'tis a low-ego anti-rockstar endeavor. but loud still.

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home