Tuesday, May 03, 2005

in search of the tokyo happy coats

it always gives me big yuks when i meet people in their 20s who are infatuated with japonica (why? i dunno, but i blame anime, although hello kitty and pokemon are probably equally culpable) and assume that i'm an authority.

the sad truth: i am the worst japanese person imaginable. reason: i grew up in new york while my parents (children of immigrants, they) were in the process of becoming acculturated to _ameercun_ culcha. i remember as a child watching my mother trying to sound her vowels the way the people on the brit shows on channel 13 did, the better to lose her hawaii pidgin accent. (she was born on the big island, on the mcbride sugar plantation, in the neighborhood they used to film the julie andrews hawaii flick. at the time, the mid-'60s, the houses were being torn down as their occupants died off or moved away, but when she was younger than i am now, my mom used to be able to remember the names of every member of every family that lived there when she was growing up, and every kid who was in her class every year while she was in school. i always used to say i was going to roll tape while she was telling her stories, but i never did, and now she says she can't remember them.)

in the environment where i was growing up, there was no utility to learning my ancestral tongue, although when we were nine and eight respectively, my sister and i were sent to a lady in our town who attempted to teach us. of course, i lost interest after i got her to teach us the "bad" words. part of the problem was that our parents used japanese as a secret code for talking about money, as a result of which i can neither speak japanese nor handle money. when i was in the service, i got to talk on a secure-voice phone, where the people on both ends of the conversation have to turn a key to scramble their words to gibberish before they can talk. it reminded me of listening to my parents discussing family finances at the dinner table. my sister actually learned to speak japanese as an adult, when she spent a couple of months traveling around the ancestral homeland with our parents, meeting all the relatives who remembered our grandparents, etc. i was stationed in korea at the time and my first child had just been born in texas, so when i had the opportunity, i came back stateside instead of joining them in japan (although i did spend four days in yokota sitting in the mac port, "showering" in the sink in the men's latrine, and listening to a japanese elvis presley impersonator at the nco club in the evenings). after that, my sister continued studying the language formally for years. she could actually write it well enough to correspond with my father, and once translated an aria from italian opera into japanese and sang it for a class. i shit you not.

as an adult, i learned to appreciate kurosawa films, bento bowls, and sake, but through my teen years, i was openly derisive of the tidbits of japanese culture that entered our home (like the four hours of costume dramas my parents would watch on the puerto rican station from newark every saturday night after we got cable, especially when an airplane or suspension bridge appeared in the background of a story that was supposed to be taking place in the 18th century). best (or worst) of all were the japanese mechanical toys my grandfather used to send us back in the'60s. they all made creepy noises and smelled like electric trains. i wish i'd held onto some of 'em; i'd be making a killing on ebay now. my fave: "mcgregor," a little scotsman in a kilt, sporran, and tam o'shanter. when you pressed his button, he very laboriously stood up (with a mechanical grinding sound that went something like "GRRRRNNNNNNRRRRRRRZZZZZZRRRRRR" and was guaranteed to set your teeth on edge), took a "puff" of his cigar, blew a ring of foul-smelling smoke, then sat back down (with the same hideous metallic grinding sound). a classic.

on _almost_ as exalted a plane were the japanese rock'n'roll records he started sending when we were of _that age_. gawd, they were awful. my favorite (the name of which, of course, escapes me) had blaring saxophones playing what sounded like music from godzilla movies and an overemoting singer, kinda like the one in the musical number (scroll down, link is near the bottom) from the bollywood movie that plays at the beginning of ghost world. the one i _can_ remember the name of is also the lamest: a single by a group called the tokyo happy coats that had a sappy ballad called "forevermore" on one side and an instrumental cover of "harlem nocturne" that i preferred on the other. incredibly, these people used to record for king records, the same label as james brown.

i started doing some net surfage on the tokyo happy coats, and made some interesting discoveries. apparently, they were a lounge act that toured the states pretty extensively from the mid-'60s on, playing las vegas and the ed sullivan show as well as dives in pittsburgh and detroit. between 'em, those happy coats played a whopping 26 instruments. this info came from the liner notes to their live album, the track listing from which kinda tells the whole story:

Side A
This is the life
You are my sunshine
Tea for two
The best goes on [presumably "the beat goes on?"]
Spinning wheel
Windmill of your mind
For once in my life

Side B
Exodus-Hava nigla (sic) [i'll bet this was choice]
Little green apples
Along came jones
Bala bala bala bamba [presumably "la bamba?"]
When the saints go marching in

in my mind's eye, i'm seeing a '60s version of some of the godawful lounge bands i got to hear in asia, the ones that were too pathetic to make it on the uso tour. an even bigger surprise was that all of the happy coats were women -- something i never realized back in the day because all i had was a single and the only way i ever listened to it was at the wrong speed, with the spindle off-center, just like the scene in one two three (which might have been jimmy cagney's last movie, about a coca-cola executive in berlin around the time the wall went up) where the horst buchholz character gets arrested by the east german police and they torture him by making him listen to "itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini" through headphones at the wrong speed with the spindle off-center. we didn't just listen to japanese records that way; we gave the same treatment to the rays' "silhouettes"/"daddy cool," the eloise trio's "chi chi merengue," or anything else we thought sounded "funny."

with that background, words can't express how disappointed i was when i actually heard "forevermore" for the first time in 30+ years recently. (you've gotta scroll down a bit; the link is under the review of a compilation called island '60s and '70s.) it sounded so _normal_, nothing like the caterwauling noise that used to drive me and my buds into fits of hysterical laughter back then. personally, i think the latter-day fetish for '60s and '70s japanese pop is a sure sign that we live in a decaying civilization.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Ronald Vaughan said...

YOU ACTUALLY HAVE THIS ALBUM??

I'd only seen one copy,over 25 years ago,in an Oahu,Hawaii record
store!

Think their name was spelled with
an "i" ("Happi...") ....they had
to compete with that OTHER Sixties
Asian all-female band,The Kim Sisters,LOL!!

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that you'll never believe this...but the lead singer for the band that you're talking about is my mother! Seriously! Her sister played the saxophone.

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello...I found this LP recently and have just uploaded three tracks from it, to You Tube. Enjoy!

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Mikesmiyu said...

Believe it or not .....I worked at King when my mentor, Dave Harrison, was engineering their session. I have 2 track copies of the masters with the "rolling,etc" at the head. I will post on You tube and have saved this page....will then post the You tube link.

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Mikesmiyu said...

As Promised: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aob-zN-7wqk
Tokyo Happycoats session: Starday-King Records, Norwood,Ohio: Dave Harrison, session recordist and mixer: Forevermore/Here is Happiness; Copy of 2-track Master.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aob-zN-7wqk

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Sue Rega said...

anonymous, saw your comment about the Tokyo Happy Coats. Your Mother and her band were one of the best acts I ever met. They were the sweetest bunch of girls I ever worked with. I have a picture of their group in which they all individually signed. They were very good to me. I think of them often. I also remember the friendship of their manager Dan Sawyer.

5:32 PM  
Blogger ADan said...

Aloha Nui Loa, Ananymous!!!
By pure happenstance, I stumbled into Tokyo Happy Coats' YouTube songs just 3 days ago!
Is your Mom's name Ruriko?
I always was told that all the Tokyo Happy Coats' members are siblings?
Anyways.......
I admired the THC's rendition of "Forever More" & "Here is Happiness", especially the way ur mother emoted the aforementioned hits that I included those songs in my shows,when I was performing with my former group, World Wide Six, all over the Waikiki and all over Hawaii. Ur mother's singing style and mine are so identical, it was eerie then to me.
I saw The Tokyo Happy Coats initially at the Ilikai Hotel's "Hongkong Junk" niteclub.
I, thereafter, became an admirer of her and the THC. I saw their shows at the HongKong Junk Club numerous times thereafter.
Then.......when I was performing at the Pagoda Hotel's then newly opened nightclub "C'est si Bon"
(the THC were scheduled) to perform at abovementioned club after us)after our first show that evening, I spotted ur mother with a male friend (who could be her relative or interpreter). I introduced myself to ur mother and her friend and found Ruriko extremely shy, friendly and giglish in spite of her inability to converse in English.
I conveyed my appreciation to ur mother and friend for attending my show and "promised her" that I will definitely watch her performances at C'est si Bon.
Unfortunately, that was the last night I performed in Hawaii due to incurring a "severe bout of strep throat" that last 3 months.
I obviously lost the opportunity to get to know THC, especially ur mother.
I became a business advisor for most of the Hawaiian acts in Waikiki and decided to sing for a hobby and not for a living and expanded my business ventures to the San Francisco Bay Area, all of California, Vegas, NyC and of course, Oahu, Maui and the big island (Hawaii).
I have a son, that is a singer/songwriter, actor, producer in Hollywood. We are in the process of producing a "duet" DVD/CD project that includes all of our songs we co-wrote and the only "cover songs" will be "Forever More and Here is Happiness".
I hope u get to read this letter because I really want to know if ur mother recalls me and my group, The World Wide Six and also if she is still singing, even part timely.
Are u and her in the USA or in Japan?
I realized u posted ur comments here way back in 2005?
But as fate is......time will tell.

TYSM for ur indulging me.....

Aloha Nui Loa,

AlohaDan :-)

3:03 PM  
Blogger ADan said...

11/11/11, Friday in Newport Coast, CA
My loving son, AlohaDan, suggested for chronology that I post the date. So that I have a clue when I left this comment.

Mahalo and Aloha,

Adan

11:19 PM  
Blogger David said...

I found the record forevermore in a fleamarket on an island in the Swedish archipelago. it seems pretty rare. Makes you wonder how it ended up there!

2:31 AM  
Blogger billob said...

9-28-2012
I had to have been the THC's biggest fan before they were THC's.

The last time I spoke with any of them was in mid-late 1964 at Haneda airport in Japan.

They were departing for the US to do an Ed Sullivan gig which did not happen until Feb. 1966. (I would dearly have a video of that performance.)

In Dec 1964 I recieved a Christmas card (in Hawaiian) from Taku Hakomori (Hata San) with a Honolulu Ebbtide Hotel return address. As I understand it, Hata
late married the Sax player who started out using the name Kyoko but later used Shoko.

A couple of years ago I ran across an Obituary for a Taku Hakomori in a Hawaiian newspaper. I pray that
this person is not the Taku that I knew.

Yes, Ruriko was the lead singer & Bass Guitar player who was also good at the Limbo at the time. A couple of female US Army personnel that had befriended the group had nickamed "Coco" because of the song "Coconut Woman" that she sang
quite often. Ruriko seemed to enjoy the nickname.

I would dearly love to re-establish
contact with any one of the group
in order to learn what happened once the group hit the US.

They knew me in Japan as Bill San..I was the nut that took 100's of photos of their gigs in the Tokyo area.

As best I can determine, the only videos of the group are from the Ed Sullivan gig and and possibly a Al Hirt "Fanfare" episode whose tapes may have been destroyed. I have heard the audio tape of this performance.

Bill Bickel

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill San...my mom says hello. We live in Honolulu now. Uncle Taku unfortunately passed away about 3 years ago. I read these posts for my mom tonight (10/20/2012, 17:30), and she definitely remembers you.

10:36 PM  
Blogger billob said...

Hi Anonymous:

I read Hata san's obituary from a Honolulu news paper on line and it mentioned that he was survived by Shoko san. This pretty well confirmed in my mind that this was in fact the Taku Hakomori that I knew. I just never could quite muster up the nerve to try and contact Shoko san to confirm my suspicions.

If this is not a cruel juke and you are the real deal it means a 48 year old dream of mine has been at least partly realized.

I can never thank your family enough for the kindness that they showed my by just being willing to communicate with me after performances during 1963 & 64.

I would dearly love to establish contact with anyone connected with the Asahi family just to learn how everybody is doing.

Bill Bickel
wbickel@msn.com

11:19 PM  
Blogger billob said...

Hi again Anonymus:

It would really mean a lot to me if
someone would get back with me.

I have some items that I acquired after the girls left Japan for the US that they would probably enjoy. In fact, any children that they have had may enjoy it even more.

Bill Bickel

8:11 PM  
Blogger billob said...

Hi again Anonymous:

How about filling in some of the details about what happened to this wonderful group. As best I can find in a memoir posted by one of the Kim Sisters several years ago, the THC stopped performing in the 1970's, Is this correct?

What about recordings? Thanks to ebay I have found "Live" and "Forevermore" which were LP's and. "Tea-A-Wanna Whistle", "Here is Happiness", "Harlem Nocturne" and "Forevermore" on 45's. Were there any other album or 45 titles? I am also aware of their "Forevermore" cut on the "Island Summer" CD.

Did they make any other CD's?

What did they do on TV? I am aware of the Ed Sullivan Show and Al Hirt's "Fanfare" show.

Were there any other TV performances.

Are there any Videos out there?

I have noticed that for the last couple of years there has been a lot of their recordings showing up on ebay. Is some of this coming from someone associated with the group? Is there a THC website somewhere that I have not yet discovered? Surely a group as great as the THC were should have a large following out there.

It was about this time in December 1963 or January 1964 that you gave me what still is one of the very best days of my life. I will always treasure those memories.

Seasons greetings to everyone.

Bill Bickel
12-18-2012

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is quite a surprise to me. I was googling Tokyo Happy Coats out of curiosity and came across this site. Eiko was my aunt. She married my uncle who worked in Vegas in the late 60's or early 70's I believe. I only met her twice since I live in the midwest. My uncle passed away many years ago and I lost track of her.

I am also trying to find my cousins from out there who would be her step daughter.


To Bill Bickel: She did have one daughter that I am aware of who was born in 1972.

I would love to see the ed sullivan video and find a still picture the identifies all the members by name.

Thanks for posting this blog.

Frank LaVere

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was happy to find this blog while googling.

My uncle was married to Eiko in the late 60's. He was a pit boss in Vegas and met her there. They had one daughter in 1972. And he had two children from a previous marriage. He died in 1982 and I have since lost track of her. I have been trying to make contact with his daughter.

I would love to see the Ed Sullivan video, but can't find it. I would also like to get a picture of the group which identifies the individual members.

Thanks for the blog.

Frank LaVere

11:11 AM  
Blogger billob said...

1-20-2013

Hi Frank:

Please email me at wbickel@msn.com as I posted earlier and I will gladly send you a copy of what I believe was a THC promotional photograph that is signed by the group.
Please put Tokyo Happy Coats in the subject line in case it goes into my junk mail box.

Best regards,
Bill Bickel




12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I am very interested in 100% all-women "real" bands (or at least all "official" members are women) - I mean, they have to accompany themselves on music instruments, not only to sing.
So I have a question: what about this nice group mentioned here, THC, are they 100% real all-women band?
Then, can anybody teach me year of their formation and disbanding, parts they play (e.g. who plays on drums?), etc. ...
I never heard about such a band in 1960s Japan! THC can be very historical...
Yoroshiku onegaishimasu m(_ _)m
Ota

1:38 PM  
Blogger billob said...

December 9, 2013
Ota:

Received your email yesterday ok. If you did nooutyitat receive my reply, please try again.

Bill Bickel


12:07 PM  
Blogger ronald33 said...

The "Ed Sullivan" people are real stupid about copyrights,they NEVER released any of this old "lesser" material. Don't know how you will ever see it except on YouTube!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Davey said...

This is a long shot, but I'm an American writer who's finally finishing a comprehensive history of Cincinnati's record labels. King was a Starday asset by 1970, and both were about to be sold to Lin Broadcasting, but the label(s) still had a fair amount of autonomy. I'd love to correspond a bit with anyone from the band, just to get any recollections about signing with Starday-King, recording in Cincinnati, dealings with engineer Dave Harrison/writer Bob Marsano or anything, really. Arigatou gozaimasu, David

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home