Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Carl Pack

Carl Pack runs my favorite rock'n'roll bar anywhere, the Wreck Room. While his name's not on the lease, he (and Graham Richardson, and Billy Wilson, and Andre Edmonson, and Jon Teague) treats it like it's his place -- with pride. I love the Wreck, so much so that Kat and I are gonna have our wedding reception there. A couple of years ago, when I was offered the opportunity to write "a heartwarming countercultural Christmas story," I had to shoehorn the Wreck in there.

Last year Carl, who's been apolitical all his life as far as I know, got politicized -- to the point of having voter registration cards in the bar and even showing Fahrenheit 9/11 on the night when Michael Moore said that anybody who wanted to, could. I hope he isn't disenchanted after the election result. He's a born grass-roots organizer, in his way.

This Thursday, Carl's old band the Gideons is getting back together to play a reunion show at the Wreck, celebrating Carl's 40th birthday. While they were kind of a mess musically, there's no way anybody could deny that they had the correct spirit. Ya mo' be there. Maybe you, too?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, Carls birthday was one of the funnest nights I've had in a long time. The gideons truely entertain. And Honky is so good that it is pointless to even try to explain them. -Sir MVB

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home