Saturday, May 07, 2011

History of the Ukulele: From Uncool to Instrument of the Future!

Uncool: This guy looked like the pediatrician my sister and I went to when we were kids, but he was also instrumental in establishing Hawai'i as a tourist destination, so bless him, I suppose.



Camp: Only in the fullness of time did this guy seem like some mad pop genius. When I was 11, he seemed like an oddball, as bizarre as the Legendary Stardust Cowboy.



Novelty: This is the new song I want played at my funeral, instead of the "Theme from Shaft." Preferably played by a ukulele orchestra made up of my grandchildren.



Virtuoso (note pronunciation -- all short vowels): He's a sensation now, but the first time I saw this, all I could think was, "Damn, he looks like me when I was 10 years old if I'd had the haircut I had when I was 35."



The new mainstream (sorry about the stupid ad)
: With Mr. "Rrrrr" on board, all bets are off.

3 Comments:

Blogger Grubbermeister said...

Ha! Good post. I would like "Yakety Sax" played at my funeral, though.

7:13 PM  
Blogger stashdauber said...

On a ukelele?

7:15 PM  
Blogger Grubbermeister said...

Hmm... That just might work.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home