Thursday, March 17, 2011

Van Morrison - "Cyprus Avenue," 1970



I saw this on TV when I was 13 and it hit me harder than Iggy, even, because this guy looked like he was just _out there_. Absolutely riveting performance. Watch it fast before Youtube takes it down.

ADDENDUM: Watching Iggy explode out of himself was exhilarating, but Van appeared to be seething inside himself, which was scarier. I saw him in Austin in '79 and was more affected than I expected to be; he seemed to be tapped into some deep well of spirituality, like Patti Smith when I saw her in Dallas circa Y2K. My Van of choice has always been Astral Weeks (and Them Again), but friend ig calls Veedon Flece "undeniable," so I guess I'm going to have to try and hear that.

FURTHER ADDENDUM: Nervebreaker/Big Gun Mike Haskins pulled my coat to this, which just moved to the top of my wish list.

Welcome to Fillmore East


Bill Graham; Elvin Bishop; Albert King; Van Morrison; Tom Slevin; David Acomba
2003, 1970
English Visual Material Visual Material : Videorecording : DVD video DVD video 1 videodisc : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
...[S.l.] : Silvertone Films,

A concert filmed in New York City at the Fillmore East on September 23, 1970.

1 Comments:

Blogger Grubbermeister said...

Can't go wrong with Van Morrison.

Word verification: beardo

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home